Call for Papers
Special Issue of the Journal of Web Semantics onMobile users’ information needs are becoming more important than ever. It is estimated that access to the Internet by mobile phones will exceed desktop computers by 2013. This will make Internet-enabled mobile devices the key access point to the information and service infrastructure of the Internet. When accessing the web with a mobile device, one is not only overwhelmed with the information provided but also hampered by the limitations mobile devices have such as limited interaction possibilities and smaller display size.
Semantic Web in a Mobile World
Semantic Web in a Mobile World
On the other hand, mobile devices provide various sensors, for instance GPS/aGPS, accelerometer, compass, microphone, and cameras. These sensors can enable capturing the users’ context and using the context to addressing the mobile users’ needs. The Semantic Web is of high benefit for mobile computing. Not only does it provide a common interlingua for devices to reason and negotiate about context, it also provides a lot of “facts” that can be used in inferring context, such as knowledge about individuals, places, organizations, and events. The availability of such information has blossomed since the advent of the Linked Data movement in 2007. However, such a Mobile Semantic Computing is still in its early beginnings.
In this special issue, we invite original work in the area of Mobile Semantic Computing that show innovative solutions and demonstrate the benefits of semantic technologies for mobile devices and mobile applications. Besides a solid research contribution, we expect systems and applications that have been evaluated with respect to its usefulness. In addition, we like to see contributions that share their data set or make services they use publicly available.
Topics of InterestThe topics of interests for this special issue include but are not limited to the following.
- RDF/Linked Data storage and processing on mobile devices
- Data and information management on mobile devices
- Reasoning on mobile devices
- Mobile indexing and retrieving of multimedia data such as audio, video, images, and text
- Pub-/sub-systems and middleware for mobile semantic applications
- Scalability and performance of semantic mobile technologies
- Mobile semantic user profiling and context modeling
- Mobile semantic cloud computing
- Interoperability of mobile semantic applications
- Browsing semantic data on mobile devices
- Mobile semantic annotation and peer tagging
- Mobile semantic mash-ups
- Mobile semantic multimedia
- Mobile applications for the social semantic web
- Mobile semantic e-learning and collaboration
- Location-aware mobile semantic applications
- Mobile semantic eGovernment applications and services
- Innovative and novel user interfaces for mobile semantic applications
- Development methods and tools for mobile semantic applications
- Privacy and security for mobile semantic devices and applications
- Data sets for the mobile semantic web
- Submission of papers October 1, 2011
- Acceptance/revision notification: December 20, 2011
- Revised manuscript due: February 29, 2012
- Final acceptance notification: May 1, 2012
- Final manuscript due: June 15, 2012
- Tentative publication: August/September 2012
SubmissionsSubmissions should be conducted through Elsevier’s Electronic Submission System . More details on the Journal of Web Semantics can be found on its homepage. Please see the author guidelines for detailed instructions before you submit.
- Ansgar Scherp, University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany
- Anupam Joshi, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, USA