Special Issue of the JWS on Digital Humanities
The Journal of Web Semantics invites submissions for a special issue on Web Semantics for Digital Humanities to be edited by Lora Aroyo, Franciska de Jong, Eero Hyvönen and Sara Tonelli.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Submissions due 1st December 2017.
Digital humanities is a new and emerging field, which brings together humanities scholars, social scientists and computer and information scientists to work on agendas of both fundamental and applied research. The field combines digital semantic technologies and (big) digital heritage data. Digital humanities research is typically driven by core questions in each of these disciplines: on the one hand semantic technologies are applied in novel ways in addressing research questions of humanities and social sciences; on the other hand these areas stimulate the development of novel methods in computer and information sciences. This special issue is calling for the submission of novel and impactful research results demonstrating the design, development, evaluation and use of research methods and infrastructures based on Semantic Web technologies for cultural heritage data and use cases in digital humanities scholarship.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Application of semantic Web technologies in literary, linguistic, cultural, media, and historical studies
- Semantics, linked (open) data and ontology-driven applications for the exploration of online cultural heritage collections
- Semantic enrichment of digital cultural heritage media
- Text mining and image mining (e.g. stylometry, topic modelling, sentiment mining) for the digital humanities
- Knowledge extraction and knowledge discovery based on cultural heritage data
- The role of semantic web technologies in the digitization and curation of cultural heritage objects
- Software development, systems design and information modelling in the cultural heritage domain
- Semantics-driven interfaces and interaction with heritage objects
- The role of semantics in advanced interaction technologies, e.g. augmented reality, VR, 3D, gaming
- The role of semantics in infrastructures and virtual research environments for digital humanities
- User studies and practices with semantics and linked (open) data
- Lora Aroyo, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Franciska de Jong, Utrecht University, email@example.com
- Eero Hyvönen, Aalto University and University of Helsinki, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sara Tonelli, Fondazione Bruno Kessler, email@example.com
- Call for papers: 15th May 2017
- Submission deadline: 1st December 2017
- Author notification: 15th February 2017
- Publication: Q3 2018
The Journal of Web Semantics solicits original scientific contributions of high quality. Following the overall mission of the journal, we emphasize the publication of papers that combine theories, methods and experiments from different subject areas in order to deliver innovative semantic methods and applications. The publication of large-scale experiments and their analysis is also encouraged to clearly illustrate scenarios and methods that introduce semantics into existing Web interfaces, contents and services.
Submission of your manuscript is welcome provided that it, or any translation of it, has not been copyrighted or published and is not being submitted for publication elsewhere. Manuscripts should be prepared for publication in accordance with instructions given in the JWS guide for authors.
The submission and review process will be carried out using Elsevier's Web-based EES system. Upon acceptance of an article, the author(s) will be asked to transfer copyright of the article to the publisher. This transfer will ensure the widest possible dissemination of information. Elsevier's liberal preprint policy permits authors and their institutions to host preprints on their web sites. Preprints of the articles will be made freely accessible on the JWS preprint server. Final copies of accepted publications will appear in print and at Elsevier's archival online server.